As a parent, when planning a trip, I think I know what my kids will enjoy the most. Yet, I'm always pleasantly surprised when my daughter who has both cognitive and physical disabilities and my son share what they loved the most on our trips. Here is their Top 10 List from our visit to Legoland California in Carlsbad, CA.
1. Legoland Hotel – Wow is all I can say! Themed rooms, Lego play areas throughout the resort and poolside evening movies. Disco elevators that make you want to dance and never want to ride another elevator again that does not have music playing, a disco ball, and a whoopee cushion by the first floor elevator that kids can’t get enough of. By far my kids’ favorite hotel EVER!
2. CoasterSaurus – My kids’ first choice in the park. It twists and turns and dips. Watch out for the life sized Lego Brachiosaurus as you go around the curve, he may think you are a plant to eat!
3. Pirate Reef – This is such a fun water ride! Pirate Reef is a water extravaganza where you can take a boat down a 25-foot drop or fire water cannons across the red or blue ships’ bows. You don’t just get wet on this ride...you get soaked! I didn’t realize just how wet you get on this ride and we didn’t wear our bathing suits. So learn from our experience and wear yours! Note: Pirate Reef can be accessed through the water park.
4. Sky Patrol – This was one of my daughter’s favorite rides. Great for those budding pilots in your family. The ride lifts the kids into the air where they can move the helicopter around in circles. Great views!
5. Junior Driving School – This was such an adorable attraction. It’s an entire little city with street lights, gas stations and lots of intersections. The kids have their own cars that they can power themselves. An attendant helped my daughter with her steering so she could experience the ride, too! She loved it.
6. Dig Those Dino’s – The Paleontologists in your family will love this attraction. Lots of fossils to unearth in over 30 yards of sand.
7. Royal Joust – Kids can ride their very own Lego Horse through the forest and imagine that they are knights having exciting adventures.
8. Chima Water Park – Plan a whole day for this experience. Connected to Legoland, this is a fun way to spend the day! Some of my kids’ favorite attractions were Orange Rush, Build-A-Raft River and Eglor’s Build-A-Boat. Don’t forget the sunscreen!
9. USA Miniland – What an impressive sight! Reproductions of Las Vegas, New England, New Orleans, New York City, San Francisco, Southern California and Washington, DC are all represented. They also have a whole section of Star Wars that my son loved!
10. The Big Shop - After spending two full days at Legoland California, our last stop was The Big Shop. Everything and anything Lego can be found here. Lego sets that you’ve never seen before as well as your kid’s favorite collections. T-shirts and souvenirs for your friends and family back home. A great way to end and to remember your amazing trip to Legoland California.
SpecialGlobe Tip – If you have someone in your family with special needs, be sure to stop first at the guest service building at the entrance where you can obtain a front of the line pass. The park was very accessible and all of the attendants were very accommodating and kind.
These tips may extend your trip time but taking the time to give your kids breaks will allow a much calmer and settled driving experience for your whole family.
Have fun and get out and explore
1. Legoland Miniland: Seeing all of these special places in Lego scale was awesome. There was the Kennedy Space Center, Grand Central Station, Los Angeles, The Golden Gate Bridge.Daytona 500, and many more. I really liked the Star Wars section. There was the Cantina from episode 4, the Millennium Falcon, and and the planet the Wookies inhabit from episode 3.
After a recent trip to NYC for SpecialGlobe with my 6 and 8 year old children, I asked them both to list their top 5 things. Below were their favorite experiences from the trip.
1. American Natural History Museum -- For a 5 year old boy, the Dinosaur exhibit on the 4th floor is a dream come true not to mention the two dinosaur and fossil gift shops for them to explore.
1. Start early! Getting your children used to cars, planes, new situations and places early will make travel easier and much more enjoyable for the whole family.
Legoland California makes for a great family day. Here are 10 can't-miss attractions in this memorable theme park. Enjoy!